A few days back there was a extremely sad and tragic incident in which several Muslims lost their lives and left hundreds injured. This has really made the Muslim people all around the world very sad. However the reaction of New Zealand premier and the people of the country was superb and of no match.
This has not only consoled the grieved families but also won the hearts of the whole Muslim world. The narrative given below (that I got from a group from Facebook) is the best picture of what New Zealand people did after the tragic incident.
If any nation wants to learn how to treat a minority in times of need, please use New Zealand & it’s Prime Minister as a case study.
*50 Muslims got attacked & killed by an Australian born Terrorist while praying at a mosque*
How did NZ, a tiny island of only 4 million people respond?
- entire population mourned genuinely
- called it a terrorist attack when the attacker was white
- Raised $9million + for the families affected
– All funeral costs to be undertaken by the Government of New Zealand
– Any person caught spreading hate news, or the attack video to be jailed up to 14 years.
– banned Guns within hours of the incident
– Huge number of people gathered all over the
country to lay flowers outside mosques and show their support within hours
– Kiwi people including the New Zealand police & even gang members of the country are patrolling outside mosques while Muslims pray
– The Azaan to be played publicly on National TV , Radio and every Mosque around New Zealand at today’s Friday prayers
– Government fast tracked visas to 24 hours to allow families of affected to enter New Zealand
– Kiwi people opened their homes to provide free shelter, food and support to any Muslim
– Non Muslim Kiwi girls wore the hijab to make Hijabi girls feel safer
– The New Zealand media made sure they covered the Muslim voice in depth and detail, with full interviews with the families of those affected, front page headlines for days and still continuing
– The Prime Minister Jacinda wore a hijab and personally visited the Muslim community on a daily basis to provide love, support & updates all while wearing a hijab. She hugged Muslims and genuinely cried with them
– The New Zealand Parliament invited an imam to start a Parliament session with an Islamic prayer (First time in History)
-Flags flew at half mast
– The Kiwi people filled up parks and beaches with art work , flowers , candles to show they stand with the Muslim community shoulder to shoulder
– Non Muslim Kiwis are actively staying around Muslims to make sure they feel welcome and at home. They are sitting, talking & eating with them.
If this happened in another country, it’s likely the news wouldn’t have even made it to the second page of the News Paper.
Alhamdulillah, Thank you , New Zealand, you have made a special place in the hearts of millions of peace loving people.. forever.
This is best narrative I found to convey my feelings and thoughts. Thanks to the writer whose reference I couldn’t find. Yet I thank to the originator of the post also that has summed up all the actions beautifully.